[Gpdd] Health-pet smart

SUSAN EASTIN susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 12:16:41 EST 2005

Jessica-
Sorry to read about your experience recently at PetSmart in Lake Charles, but what if
you hadn't been there?  Granted, you didn't get the response you'd hoped for, but I'll
bet they at least had second thoughts.  Try contacting PetSmart headquarters to report
what happened; did you get the names of the employees you spoke to? Give as much
detail as you can, including the date. I would also notify everyone else you can think of
in your community, i.e., newspaper, television, animal shelters and groups, etc. Write
a letter and send copies to all of these, letting them all know who you are notifying.
I'll bet PetSmart and any other pet stores will be more careful, they won't like this
sort of publicity.
But please, please, don't stop going in there!  I can't stand to see the sweet little
critters confined in such containers even if they are healthy, but you can bet I'll go
in every chance I get to be sure they're safe and healthy, at least. When I have
found a problem, I also mention it to whatever customers are nearby, making sure to
notify an employee in front of other customers - that makes it hard to ignore. And I
wait to be sure they are following up, even returning later or the next day to be sure.
More than once, as I was checking on the piggies and talking to them, etc, I drew
the attention of other customers, who instantly fell in love with the little guys. This
gave me an opportunity to share a bit of information, like proper food and housing,
and some satisfaction when I saw them leaving the store with a piggie or two and lots of supplies. (I wouldn't encourage someone I felt might not be a responsible slave).
I also give them the gpdd website address along with other sources, and my name
and phone number, as well as names and numbers of other local gp contacts in
case they have a question or a problem.
We can all make a difference in the lives of these little guys, even if we don't approve
of the way some of these breeders operate. Go in there and check on them, speak up,
and don't give up - you may be the only chance some of them have! Give Piggy Wiggy and Harley a big hug from us,
Susi and the Okie Piggies,
Snowy, CocoPuff, Lil' Whistle & Rosie
Hotshot & Buzzz