[Gpdd] CARE: New Owner

Tenetylo, Jenna (RMS) TenetyloJ at dnb.com
Fri Jan 21 12:47:52 EST 2005

Cindy -
Here are a few VERY useful websites that I have used when I first got my
piggie...
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~petergurney/atozmainpage.htm  - this site has TONS
of information...  free on the web.  A-Z guide to whatever you might want to
have information on!

Here is another page with lots of useful info:
http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html#diet
On this page it explains how to pick out different vegetables so the guinea
pig will have a balanced diet (has a table that shows calcium, vitamin C
(VERY IMPORTANT), and Phosphorus.

I usually give my piggie (who is about 6 months old) red peppers (high in
Vit C), green peppers, parsley (High in Vit C.), red and green lettuce
(never feed regular lettuce, little to no nutritional value), spinach (High
in Calcium - Too much calcium can cause stones in guinea pigs, not good...
but that is usually in older pigs), carrots, apple, pear, grapes, dandelion
greens, timothy hay (VERY IMPORTANT), celery (cut up small so piggie does
not have problems with the strings), cilantro, etc...   To start, buy small
amounts of veggies and fruits - each piggie is different with what they
like... for instance, mine WILL NOT eat tomatoes :) ....    I've also heard
not too feed them too much fruit (sugar content).
I feed my piggie also regular timothy hay pellets, and just in case I give
him a vitamin drop (for Vit C) everyday.  Also fresh water...

In regards to the whole piggie running back into his cage?!  well - I
noticed that if I take mine to a new place, he won't run around.. he also
goes back into his cage...  possibly they could just need time to adjust to
their new family!  This could take some time, patience and lots of love :)

Hope that helps!!!
Just keeping reading up :) That's how I learned so much and also from asking
question and reading the digest...
Lots of luck!