[Gpdd] MISC: Remembering K. C.

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 22 04:56:38 EST 2005

Hello everyone and everypig. On January 22, 2004, we lost our beloved K. C.
It has been a year without 'my little hairy guy.' To this day, I still cry
and mourn. As many have said, you tend to have a closer bond with the 'not
so healthy' ones.

And although I am a strong believer that guinea pigs don't throw up since
they are physically unable, let me tell you, that there's an exception to
every rule. During K. C.'s last hours, he repeatedly threw up. Every time I
put him back in his home, he'd vomit and vomit and vomit. I finally took to
putting his head on my shoulder and his body on my chest (so he was
vertical). As usually happens, it was very late at night. All the 'on call'
vets knew nothing about guinea pigs. I was too polite and didn't want to
wake up our vet, but I finally did call him around 5 a.m. We rushed and
picked up some medicine for K. C. but it didn't help. Within an hour, he was
gone. We'll never know what happened but some signs pointed to renal
failure. He had some physical ailments and he had come thisclose several
times to going. But we'd 'work' on him all night and somehow he pulled
through. I assumed this time would be the same. But it wasn't. My most
horrible of nightmares had come true. I just couldn't believe it!

As time went on, I knew I needed another piggie. But there were none at the
Humane Society, none in the pet stores. I searched island wide but couldn't
find one piggie. I contacted a rescue but they didn't have any guinea pigs.
I began to think no piggie wanted me.

Four months later, when I was horribly sick, helped along by severe
depression, Michael went to pick up something for dinner and popped into the
pet store right by that place. He came home and told me there were four
guinea pigs there. But the price was double of what I was used to paying. So
I went to look at the piggies. One 'rule' I had read is to not pick a piggie
that reminds your of your piggie. These were nothing like K. C. So I
inspected one but felt 'nothing.' I picked up another one and felt a 'little
something.' We brought the little guy home but I sort of felt wrong about it
somehow.

I just couldn't name him! Nothing came to mind. It took two months to come
up with a name for him. But he has become the light of my life. I tell him
that he saved my life because I was just wasting away, I really didn't see
any purpose to life (other horrible things were going on with me at the
time).

So, yes, it's been one year without our beloved K. C. I still can't believe
he's not here. I miss him very, very much. He'll always be held in a very
special place in my heart. For now and always.

Thanks for listening.

Corrine and Michael