[Gpdd] (Health) Re:Mites

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 15:39:23 EST 2005

Jaime, Bailey & Butterscotch,
I had the same problems with mites and felt like I was
a horrible mom because of it. I later did some
research, confirmed by my vet, that made me feel
better. Mites are microscopic and live beneath the
skin of many pigs, with no symptoms or problems.
Sometimes a pig may get stressed or ill and that can
aggravate the mites. Then all the scratching that
comes with them just makes matters worse. My vet also
said that mite eggs can live on bedding and toys for
two weeks, that's why you need more than one treatment
of Ivermectin. Make sure you thoroughly wash any
cuddle cups, cozys or towels you use for your pigs and
get rid of any old wooden toys or houses--they provide
a perfect place for mites and eggs to hang onto.
Better to get new toys than start all over with the
mites.
Hope this helps!
-Stacy and the mite-free Squee Squad