[Gpdd] Health--Potter

Debbieganley debg43 at ij.net
Sun Jan 23 22:26:07 EST 2005

In response to Dawnda's response to my post about Potter's surgery tomorrow--I said it jokingly, that Colleen handles Potter like a sack of potatoes--she's is 12 years old & has been with Potter for almost 3 years, since we adopted Potter from our local Humane.  Colleen is well aware of how to handle a GP, with support under Potter's (Molly & Emma's) rear end & also with a careful hand on her back so none of our pigs flip.  I handle our pigs a little less than Colleen does--she seems to be the one to find Potter's lumps since she's the one to hug them & carry them around the most--always with their safety in mind.  Rough handling does not happen in our house--Colleen would have been cut off long ago if she handled them roughly.  Our pigs love Colleen to pieces--go tell Molly that she can't give kisses to her best friend, while she's carried around.

I do not agree at all that Potter shouldn't be handled for weeks after the surgery--we were very leery about  picking up Potter after her last surgery in March, only because we were afraid of popping stitches & were new to the surgery experience.    The vet's office picked her up right after surgery, to give her back to us--I think we might have done her a misservice by not picking her up & letting her sit with us as she recovered, tho we made sure to give her lots of pets & attention----I'm not making that mistake again, I think she'll appreciate  having snuggle time with us tomorrow night, being back home & in familiar surroundings, once she's acclimated & we're very careful about picking her up.    If we left her alone for a few weeks, I think depression would get her more than surgery complications.

Yes, my Potter-pig isn't the youngest pig in the GPDD herd, & I'm not happy about the surgery looming tomorrow--we're afraid of losing Potter to the lumpy-bumpy tumor during surgery.  But my daughter & I will be there for her, old or not, & comforting her, one outcome or another. I don't happen to consider Potter exceptionally old--she's probably  4?  Hopefully pigs live to 5-8?   I'm sorry that your pig had a tough recovery from a large tumor at so young an age--I can't imagine it happening to Molly or Emma & I would have  offered  you all the support in the world if I'd have known you back then.

Anyone who knows me & my girls on this site or in person is aware of the care & concern my crew gets--   I'm not going to just write off Potter since she's on the older side of 3--we'll just hope for the best results tomorrow & do everything possible for her, as long as we can. Many thanks to all of you who wrote to me & expressed good wishes & concern--I'll be in touch with ya'll tomorrow nite to let you know how it all went.    Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma