[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Lethargic after fall

Marie.McDermott at CliffordChance.com Marie.McDermott at CliffordChance.com
Mon Jan 24 11:48:00 EST 2005

I had the same thing happen to me with my little Sammy.  My Sammy fell
forward onto a hard wood floor and he seemed ok that night, but the next day
he wouldn't eat or come out of his igloo which was so unlike him.  I had my
hubby take him to the vet the very next morning.  The vet checked his mouth
for bleeding and felt him and said that he was fine.  Hubby brought him
home.  For a week, he was not eating properly.  I took him to different vet
that specialized in exotic animals and she told me that his upper teeth were
broken.  They took xrays to check for broken bones and placed him under
local anesthesia for 15 minutes then when Sammy came out of it, she gave him
an oral muscle relaxer.  They also have me this powder to mix with Ensure as
food for Sammy.

When I arrived at the house with Sammy, he was dead.  I was heart broken.  I
called the vet in hysterics and was not satisfied with her answer on why
Sammy died.  Later a second vet from the same office called me and informed
me that unfortunately the first vet only checked for broken bones and did
not check the muscles and the heart.  He said that Sammy may have had some
internal bleeding caused by the fall or that he damaged his little heart
during the fall.  I personally think that since Sammy had not eaten well for
several days, the anesthesia and the muscle relaxer was too much for him to
bear.  I've also heard that many of these little guys do not come out when
they are placed under anesthesia.

If I would do it all over again, I would have had the vet give me some
special food to build his strength and have the muscle relaxer for his pain
only.  I wish your little one a successful recovery.

*******

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.

For further information about Clifford Chance please see our website at http://www.cliffordchance.com or refer to any Clifford Chance office.