[Gpdd] [RESCUE] David Hardesty's legacy

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 11:21:45 EST 2005

I am in tears here, having just read the report on the disgusting, repugnant
mess left behind by this unscrupulous breeder. It is almost exactly the same
scenario as I found and reported on here in Northwest France two years ago -
although in that case, the unscrupulous breeder was still alive and breeding.
She also had 400, and they were freezing to death in inadequate multi-storey
outdoor shelters. It broke my heart to see them, but I could only afford to
rescue 27, (which became 45 as babies were born), and I know for a fact that a lot
of her surplus later went to the local reptilarium to be fed to the crocodiles
- hence she became known, on this digest, as "that crocodile woman".

Some time later I tried to buy her out, but she refused to promise to stop
breeding, so I had to walk away, knowing that if she thought for one minute
she'd found a mug who would always buy her surplus stock, she would just breed
more and more with euro signs in her eyes. I still see her selling her poor
piggies at the roadside market, and rabbits as well, and it still makes me want to
weep. But she is doing nothing illegal in France - many animals are treated
like that or worse.

But I gather you are in the US. where there are animal shelters and cruelty
laws and welfare societies - is there nothing you can do to save any of these
poor piggies, or to make an example of this breeder so as to make others think
twice??? My God, what has this civilised world come to when there are people
who can treat innocent creatures in this fashion? Isn't there anything ordinary
people like us can do to stop tragedies like this???

To end on a positive note, although most of our rescued piggies were rehomed,
I do still have two who were pregnant mums when they arrived and whom no one
wanted. They had never seen igloos or green veggies (though I have to admit,
they were fed hay, plus dry French bread and carrots), and they were absolutely
terrified of being touched by humans - they would run for cover as soon as we
approached. Two years later, Muscade and Cannelle are enjoying a well-earned
luxurious retirement. Muscade is Top Pig of all my 14 females, and she loves
her igloo and daily breakfast in bed! Cannelle lives with one of her daughters
and lots of new friends, and she also enjoys a range of veggies. Both will now
allow themselves to be picked up, weighed, stroked, claws cut or just
cuddled. In the winter they love running free around our porch, and in the summer
they run around a large enclosed safe run in the garden, feasting on grass and
dandelions and hopefully never even remembering the grim sad days that went
before.

Oh, how my heart weeps for those I had to leave behind, and all those you
were unable to save. Please will someone tell me that there is something we can
do????

Debbie and her "Dolly Mixtures"