[Gpdd] Behavior (Two new female piggies)

rfleming at westband.net rfleming at westband.net
Thu Jan 27 13:17:47 EST 2005

Hello,

I am new to GPDD and I had a couple of questions.

Firstly I admit that I bought my Piggies from a local Petco instead of
adopting, I thought that I had done all the right research but I stumbled
onto great resources like this after I bought them.

Well my two girls, Sweetie and Molly seem to be in great health and great
spirits. I bought Sweetie first and I decided that having two piggies was
really the right way to do things based on all the reading that I have
done. Molly was Sweetie's roommate at petco and I bought her 3 days after
I brought home Sweetie.

Initially all was well...the seemed to enjoy each other’s company and
there were no problems. However now whenever Sweetie gets too close to
Molly, usually to snuggle with or just pass by Molly will make the
thumping sound and will lunge at Sweetie...Molly has never used her teeth
and never hurt Sweetie but it is concerning me. But to make it odd
sometimes Molly will snuggle next to Sweetie and of course Sweetie enjoys
the company.

To be honest I think the problem might be that the cage they are in is too
small...currently approx. 4 sq. ft. I plan on building a 2x4 C & C cage
this weekend (cavycages.com) but I hope that they are not incompatible.
Molly is slightly larger and I would assume slightly older than Sweetie if
that makes a difference. But they are both positively girls...I had an
exotics vet make sure.

Any input or insight would be appreciated...I love them both and they have
already stolen my heart...I love watching their antics...I just want to
make sure they are as happy as I am.

Thank you for your help,

-Robert