[Gpdd] IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read *entire* post.

GPDD Admin gpdd-admin at gpdd.org
Fri Jan 28 16:54:38 EST 2005

Everyone:

This will be a long message, but is an issue the moderators have deemed
important enough that it deserves everyone's undivided attention. Please
read it in its entirety.

The David Hardesty Issue:

We've been reading the posts, personal e-mails sent to us, and the
Cavycare, Inc. website regarding the 400 guinea pigs in Colorado.

There seems to be a very different perspective on the series of events -
even between eye-witnesses - of what happened that day. However, unless
someone can deny the "business trade" allegations, that the animals were
unceremoniously packed into containers and hauled out - with some to be
sent to the Raptor society - we will need to take the rescue's eyewitness
account as true.

David Hardesty aside, the brunt of the problem is with the people that were
there to remove the animals - their actions and attitudes. We would love to
hear an account of the same events from one of the breeders that was there.
And we would like them to answer honestly regarding the specific
allegations made against them. If they would like to contact us for an
*objective* discussion, please send communications to <GPDD-admin at gpdd.org>.

The Hardesty topic is now closed. However, posts about ways to help the
animals that were rescued, or the rescue organizations shall continue - but
they must comply with the basic GPDD guidelines of Pigiquette (More info?
see http://www.gpdd.org/guidelines.html)

=====

That said, let's move on to the GPDD Board's opinions regarding these
discussions:

The first item we need to establish is that breeders who are GPDD members
do *not* practice the kind of uncaring behavior that rescue people find so
abhorring.

The breeders that are part of the GPDD are part of *our* family, and when
they see generalized statements like "those breeders" or "breeders do that"
it is hurtful. We *cannot* deal in generalities when we post. Not all
breeders are bad; not all rescues are good - it is not black and white!

It is the policy of the GPDD to be a forum to ALL guinea pig lovers.
Remember that the GPDD should be about our common love of Guinea Pigs, and
not our differences of opinion about everything GP related or not.

The GPDD applauds rescue people and the brave efforts they make in saving
so many animals' lives. We also recognize the courage it takes to face down
an angry abuser, and the long and tiring hours spent caring for the
animals, plus following up with officials and sometimes law enforcement.
Rescue can be emotionally as well as financially devastating. We pledge to
support you whenever we can - but we need your support too.

The GPDD also applauds the breeders who are kind and caring, who feel their
herd is part of the family, and loves every piggie in their herd whether it
is three or three hundred. We know that there are *many* breeders that
breed responsibly, do *not* send animals to be used as food for snakes or
raptors, and are always willing to lend a helping hand to any other piggie
lover - even take in rescue animals!

Before there were exotics vets, it was the *breeders* whose specialized
knowledge helped cure sick piggies. Even today, many breeders are much more
knowledgeable than some vets. The GPDD appreciates your being part of us,
and supports your efforts in caring and responsible breeding. But we also
need *your* help and support.

We look to the Members of the GPDD to see each other as friends and family.
Yes, we may argue and disagree, but in the end *WE* are the people that
need to bring about the changes that will help guinea pigs.

It starts here; this is the common ground. Our rescuers, breeders, owners
and others need to take advantage of each other's strengths. We need to
accept the fact "the other guy" may have some notions and ideas that we
really don't like - but there's a pressing need to get some basic things
done.  Those differences can  - and will - be addressed at some point in
the future, but right now there's a LOT that needs to be done, and it won't
happen if we're biting each other's backs.

The goals remain: help each other and our companions, speak out or get
involved to stop abuse, get abusers punished, get animals out of danger,
and provide as good a life as possible for them.

You can help; no matter how much or how little you do, if you do it out of
understanding, love and respect for each other and the creatures we hold
dear.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

The GPDD Team