[Gpdd] Re: CARE: Piggy diet

Robert redmountainfarm at juno.com
Sun Jan 30 17:07:58 EST 2005

I have 21 piggies, all different ages.  I feed them lots of hay, they just love it.  I also feed them pellets, which they do not like as much.  I just gave them a lot of veggies.  I diced up celery, carrots, cucumbers, red cabbage green pepper and apple.  It made a big bowel.  Each pig got between 1/2 to 1 cup each. I have never had a pig get diarrhea from vegetables or anything else.  I have had pigs for 30 years now.  The only time I had a pig get diarrhea was when he had pneumonia and had to have antibiotics.  Unfortunately, he was very old and we were not able to save him.  I give my pigs lots of hay, it is like a diet staple.  They also love to nest in it and lay on it.  My cats like it too.

One of my pigs just had three babies.  They are so cute.  I did not breed her, somebody gave her to me and she was already pregnant.

I hope everybody who reads this would be aware that it is very hard to find good homes for pigs and it is not possible to make money raising pigs.  If you show and are a breeder, then it still is not a money-making proposition, just a labor of love.  I had to find homes for 9 babies from pregnant females that were given to me.  Now I have three more to place.  I would never breed pigs myself.