[Gpdd] MISC.- condolences, please adopt a piggie & Albert's belly is upset

rzm.2 at juno.com rzm.2 at juno.com
Fri Jul 1 19:07:56 EDT 2005

Hi all! My condolences on the passing of Wooly Bear. I enjoyed hearing of his antics & our thoughts & prayers are with you.
Someone asked about where to buy a guinea pig. I hope you will please consider adoption. Give a piggie a 2nd chance! Petfinder.com can tell you of available piggies in your area.
Well Albert went to the vet again last night. I noticed on Wed. he wasn't quite himself and wasn't eating up to his usual standards. Yesterday morning he still wasn't eating right, so I called the vet and
we took him last night. He checked his teeth and they were fine. The vet said that guinea pigs always have food in their mouths. They chew the food and then sometimes instead of swallowing it they just leave it lay in there. Then they rechew it later he said. I never knew that. No wonder when Albert yawns in my face his breath is a little stinky! So he checked him over and when he felt his belly ALbert kind of cried a little. He said his belly felt tender & he seemed to be having discomfort, and determined he had a little infection in his stomach. Has anyone ever heard of this? I can't imagine what could of caused it. I haven't changed his diet at all & I wash all his veggies. He gave him trimethoprim to take twice a day (the last antibiotic, Baytril, was only once a day) and Metacam for the pain. He gave him a dose of each before we left and by the time we got home he was playing. When I put him back in his house he just gobbled those pellets right up. I am kind of worried about him taking so much antibiotics. The last time he had antibiotics it was only once a day. Also is the Metacam safe for him? He said I can stop the Metacam in a few days once he seems a little better. I just thought it could irritate his belly and since there's already a problem in there I don't want to make it worse. I always think of these questions AFTER I leave the vet. =( Any thoughts on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

***JAIME*** ( the very guilty piggie owner)
& Albert the rumbly tumbly piggie =(