[Gpdd] (Care) Re: Shy and Darkness

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 12:26:11 EDT 2005

Domino,
Welcome to the wonderful world of piggies! You'll find
a lot of great information here.

First off, your piggy needs to get used to its new
home, so it's going to be skittish and run away from
you for a while. You have to gain its trust by gently
talking to it, and offering a treat like lettuce or a
carrot from your hand. Eventually it will come to
recognize that you aren't some big predator that wants
to eat it. Not all piggies like to be picked up, in
fact most will run away when you try to catch them--my
theory is that they don't like to feel their feet
leave the ground. Many do like to be held, though, and
will settle down once you have them in your lap.

As for seeing in total darkness, I think probably not.
Piggies are very near-sighted...if they're anything
like me, I'm nearsighted and I can't see too well in
total darkness. However, guineas have a good sense of
smell and can find their food and water even in the
dark. Many people have blind piggies and they function
just fine. I don't think you need to leave a light on
at night. But you do want to make sure that your piggy
is getting some light during the day--just make sure
it's not in direct sunlight, or directly under a hot
lamp as piggies can overheat quickly.

Hope this helps,
Stacy and the Squee Squad