[Gpdd] Care; adopting an unwanted Pig

Ben Treichel btreichel at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 22:45:04 EDT 2005

1st post, joined to seek advice.

We are going to be adopting a 8 - 12 month old pig from a friends son
who just doesn't want it. While we are sure that the GP was physically
taken care of, it was also probably ignored and alone for most of its
life. Reading the Guinea Pig Handbook by Vanderslip, it indicates that
this little guy is probably not an emotionally happy camper.

Are there behaviors, etc that we should expect because of this? Does he
need ant extra special care because of the change that is going to be
happening? I know my son will hold him, and feed him treats to help him
along. What else do we need to do / should expect to happen?

Ben

FYI, he's not arriving for about another 2 weeks. After the family
vacation. Also, he will be animal resident #5. 1 dog (5lb) 2 hams, 1
cockitiel.