[Gpdd] Re: CARE - Adopting an unwanted Pig

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Sun Jul 3 20:10:47 EDT 2005

Ben, it's so great to hear that you will be adopting an unwanted guinea
pig.  The little guy is very lucky that he's going to be part of your
family.  You are smart to read up on piggies before adopting him; your new
knowledge will be a benefit both to him and to you.

It's hard to know how being ignored in the past will affect him.  Piggies
are like people -- all different -- so he might be well-adjusted despite
his previous environment, or, as you suggested, he might be unhappy.  In
any case, it will be an adjustment for him to move to a new (though much
better!) place.  He might be skittish at first.  When I adopted Sunshine
and Tumbleweed, two rescue piggies, they would run whenever I entered the
room.  I learned to announce my presence before I went in; I'd just
basically say, "OK, guys, I'm coming in to give you a treat," or
whatever.  It took about a week for them to realize that my arrival was a
*good* thing.

Your new piggie will probably want something to "hide" in or under when
he's in his cage.  You might drape a towel over one end of the cage or put
a PVC tube or wooden "hidey house" in his cage.

Oh, if you can get some of his food pellets from his current family (or ask
them what they buy, and then buy the same), that would be a good
idea.  Switching to new pellets is kind of a shock to a piggie's
system.  If you want to serve a new type of pellets, get some of their
pellets and mix with your pellets for a while, then gradually lower the
amount of the old pellets and increase the amount of the new, so the piggie
has a chance to become accustomed to his new diet.

We're sure others will be able to offer lots of good advice as well.  Do
let us know when your new friend arrives!

Cindy, Sunshine, and Tumbleweed