[Gpdd] [Health] Mammary tumor

Sarah Mitchell sarelimit at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 22:36:29 EDT 2005

Lisa,

Your situation sounds exactly like one I was in a few
years ago. I took in a pig that was about 5 years old
and a mammary tumor was the reason the owners left him
at the pet store where I shopped. They knew I was a
pig person and asked me if I would take him. I elected
to have the surgery as he was in otherwise good
health. Alvin came through wonderfully and was very
patient when I took care of him post-op. He lived
about a year and half after surgery. I had to help him
to the bridge for reasons unrelated to the tumor.

While there is always a risk I would say that it
varies a lot with the individual pig. Some pigs that
you think should pull through fine don't.  If, he is
in good health and seems pretty hearty I would
probably have the surgery. If you have any doubts
about his health, I would wait. I am not sure if I
have helped or not, but I wish you and Murray the
best. I am sure that he is happy to be with you no
matter what you decide. Keep us posted on him.

Sarah