[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sneezing

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 12:52:17 EDT 2005

Melissa

I would wipe away any discharge from his nose gently with a tissue, and
keep him warm.  Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust
recommends Vicks Vapour Rub for congestion, but it is quite strong and
piggy probably won't like it very much.  It could tide him over until you
can get to the Vet, or get a milder paediatric version.

Have you changed his hay or bedding for a different kind recently?  It
could be that he is reacting to that.

As you have a stethoscope, you could listen to his lungs, and if there is
a "click" sound it would seem to indicate that there could be an
infection, which means get to the Vet as quickly as you can.  If
you have other piggies, compare the sound against one of them to
see if there is a difference.  Another possible cause is that it could be
an allergy.

Is the discharge coloured in any way?  If so, it could be an infection,
but it could also be from food particles.  A swab test by a Vet would be
able to distinguish between these.

An important point is whether piggy is eating: if not, get to a vet
urgently.  Try syringe feeding critical care to keep him going if he is
relectant to eat his normal food.  If there is any sign of a blue tinge to
his nose and lips, that is very urgent, and needs emergency veterinary
advice and treatment.

If piggy is moving about and eating well, and just has the snuffles, it
may be a short course of antibiotic will be all that's needed to clear it
up, but you don't want it to become chronic.

Does your Vet do an out-of-hours or emergency service?  They might be able
to give you advice over the phone or maybe do a home visit.

You may find the following links useful:

http://guinealynx.info/emergency.html

>From Peter Gurney's web site:
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/respiration.htm
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/sinusitis.htm

Hope this helps.  Get well soon, little piggy.

Best wishes

Kay

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Missy Chodoro <melissachodoro at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Gpdd] Health: Sneezing
> To: Gpdd at gpdd.org
>
> Hello all. I know that URI are common in piggies and can be fatal.
One of my guys was sneezing a bit this weekend and discharge was coming out.
When i hold him up to me, I can hear his nose seems a little clogged.
Is this an urgent, run-to-the-vet-now issue? Is there anyone i can listen
to his lungs my self (ihave a stethoscope) and tell if he is congested in
the lungs? The earliest the vet can get me in is next Monday as i don't get
home from work til 6pm and cannot take any time off.