[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Smelly urine

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 12:59:37 EDT 2005

Can I ask what the smell is?  If it is ammonia, you will want to clean the
area more often, as that can be damaging to little piggy lungs.

What might have happened is that there is a dried residue on the bottom of
their housing that gets reactivated when fresh urine is on top of the
same area.  What I would recommend is giving the housing a thorough
scrubbing out (maybe use vinegar or lemon juice to remove any dried urine
deposits, but don't use anything with phenol in it) say once a month, and
then cleaning out the housing by replacing the bedding on a daily basis.
Spot cleaning might work with a thorough clean every few days after
a monthly scrubbing out.

I clean my piggies out everyday; I use paper kitchen towel underneath,
then some sheets of newspaper on top, and safe bed bedding and fresh hay
on top of that.  If you can't clean them out every day, what you could
try is extra sheets of newspaper, then roll up the top sheets with the
droppings and place a fresh sheet on the top with fresh bedding.  Then
change the whole lot after a few days.

I use the kitchen towel in order to soak up the urine, and replace it
daily... this avoids leaving a deposit which could become smelly later.

Whatever you do, don't use a room freshener to hide the smell, as that
could be a problem for little pigy noses.

best wishes

Kay