[Gpdd] [MISC] Guinea pigs as pets for small children

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:16:09 EDT 2005

Greetings!

Just a word or two to add about small children having guinea pigs for pets.
I wouldn't recommend it either, because, as stated before, a fall can be
deadly for them. Many years ago, my sister and I, then in our late teens,
were having a conversation on the sidewalk outside our parent's home. She
was holding her guinea pig, J.R., in her arms. He was not usually a nervous
piggie, so she was very surprised when he suddenly, and for no apparent
reason, jumped out of her arms. J.R. died instantly. His fall to the
sidewalk had broken his back. My sister was not tall...only a little over
five feet. Had we been sitting down instead, he still could have broken a
leg or fractured some other of his fragile bones. Guinea pigs just aren't
able to right themselves as they fall, like a cat does. For this reason, and
others, which have been mentioned previously, I think waiting until the
children are older would be wise.

Respectfully,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals