[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Obie not swallowing

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Sat Jul 9 16:31:53 EDT 2005

Dear Susan

          ****  PLEASE GET OBIE TO A VET STRAIGHT AWAY ****

I think you need to get *** URGENT VETERINARY ATTENTION *** for Obie.

Guinea pigs cannot be sick because of their anatomy, that's why nothing
will come up.  If Obie isn't swallowing, don't force her.  Try liquidising
dandelion, grass, any favourite food (put it through the juicer) and
offer it to her either on a small spoon or in a syringe.

Maybe try a little lettuce (not iceberg) to get some fluid in to her, or
even a little runny honey to keep her blood sugar level up.  You could try
rehydration salts as an alternative.  Keep her warm (wrap a hot water
bottle in a towel so she doesn't get too hot).

My little Bess had ovarian cysts, and she had an ovario-hysterectomy and
is fine after that, whereas Obie is having hormone treatment.  If she is
sitting hunched up in the corner she will be feeling poorly...fluffed up
coat, glazed eyes, cold ears, hands and feet are all signs that she needs
to see a vet, and quickly.

Good luck Obie and Susan

Kay

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:26:09 -0500
> From: "Chizeck, Susan P" <chizeck at utdallas.edu>
> Subject: [Gpdd] health: obie not swallowing
> To: <gpdd at gpdd.org>

> Obie has been under treatment for an ovarian cyst, painful, but it was
shrinking.  She had her second hormone shot on Thursday.  But now she is
not drinking, although she seemed to be eating hay.  I gave her some
critical care, but I think she did not swallow it.  When I tried to syringe
some water into her, she seemed to be retching (tho nothing comes up) .
Now she is barely swallowing.  I think she is sitting there chewing a little
of the critical care, but not drinking.  She is acting rather pathetic, all
puffed up in a corner.  Any suggestions on what to do?.  I am going to get
some meloxicam and see if painkiller will help her perk up at all.  She is
5 ½ and seems to be going fast.