[Gpdd] [CARE] Feeding: Corn husks and other food

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Sun Jul 10 15:55:47 EDT 2005

Hi Rachel, Roxie and Phera

One of the reasons piggies shouldn't have too much kale is that it also
has oxalic acid (as in rhubarb leaves, which they mustn't have) and
another reason is that it can cause wind (so could be a risk for bloat,
as with cabbage, broccoli and similar vegetables in that family).  Parsley
also has some oxalic acid content, but I don't know of any other problem
with it.  My piggies like both flat leaved and curly parsley, and also
carrot tops for a change.  Chicory is also a favourite, and that is high
in vitamin C too, I believe.

There is a table of foods and their relative merits (vitamin C, calcium
and phosphorus levels, etc) at the Guinea Lynx website (type guinea lynx
into google or other search engine, and it will give you the URL). There
is also a book called the Guinea PigLopaedia which compare the food values
of different fruit and vegetables.

Vitamin C in drinking water bottles isn't all that useful as it can
degrade rapidly.  I crush a couple of vitamin C chewable tablets in warm
water and then mix in bran for their evening feed, and that seems to go
down well as most plates are licked clean by morning :=)

I don't know what snow peas are...is there another name for them?

Corn silks and husks are OK...my piggies like a little baby sweet corn
sometimes.

Most piggies seem to like variety in the sense that they have a wide range
to choose from, but the food they are offered doesn't change all that much
from day-to-day, and not too much of any one food.  I enjoy watching my
piggies examining their breakfast bowls and you can see that they are
thinking "what shall I have first?" and "ooh, I really like this piece of
chicory/carrot/parsley...".

best wishes

Kay