[Gpdd] TOPIC - MISC. - How can I remove urine stains from the cage?!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:18:17 EDT 2005

Hi guys! Sorry I've been away so long - no excuse really, I just get so
tangled up in day-to-day stuff that I just never seem to get the time to do
anything these days! I hope all the piggies have been well and happy in my
absence - Harvey is fine now, although he had been quite ill recently, he
seems to have made a full recovery now, thank god.

The question I was wondering if anybody could help me with is this - how on
earth can I remove the urine stains from the base of Harvey's cage?! His
cage is all plastic, with a clear top, and a brown plastic base. I always
use mild washing-up liquid/dish soap and plain water to clean his cage -
sometimes I'll put a little disinfectant in with the soapy water too. It's a
big cage and it has a big base, so I usually fill the base itself with water
and washing-up liquid, scrub it with a soft scourer as best I can, tip the
soapy water out, rinse the base with plain water, then dry it up. I can't
fit it in the sink bowl!!

However, this just doesn't seem to be getting the chalky-white urine stains
out. My friend told me she used to bleach her piggie's cage with household
bleach, but there is NO WAY I'd do that without finding out from one of you
guys that it's a safe thing to do - as I'm not sure it is. I am stuck on
what to use that (a) will be strong enough to clean the stains away, but (b)
won't hurt the piggie in the process. No matter how much I scrub, I just
can't get the stains out - and it's driving me nuts!! Plain soapy water
obviously doesn't work - does anybody have any hints or tips that they can
give me that might help?!

Harvey and his mama say thanks for any help that you can give us that may
stop his cage stinking the house out!! :-)

Nicola and Harvey the piggie! :-)