[Gpdd] CARE: Advice for new cage mate

Yuka Persico yuka at persico.net
Fri Jul 15 08:25:15 EDT 2005

Wheeks to all :o)

In one of our cages, we have two females (one on the smaller side)  who are
about two and a half years old.  We have introduced a young female who is
about eleven weeks old.  They have been living together now for about a
week.  The two older ones will still occassionally march over to the younger
one and rumble strut and steadily walk around her and then back away and
chatter their teeth.  On one occassion today one of the older ones walked up
perpedicularily to the younger one and head butted (nipped?) at the younger
ones mid-back (I suspect it was over the last dandelion leaf!).  Meanwhile,
the younger one spends her day happily nibbling on timopthy hay and doesn't
seem the least bit intimidated to pull a nice pellet from the feeder even if
she is being rumbled.......

I basically think the situation is ok, and will only imporve with time.
Hoever, having said that, I am posting this in case I need to be seriously
told otherwise or warned of things I yet am ignorant of!  I appeal to all
you veteran caretakers!

Thank you in advance for any warnings or word of wosdom (or
commiseration.....)

Yuka (who had posted that Wicket passed a few weeks ago.  The mamma piggy my
youngest brought home from school had a litter of four adorable piggies
yesterday morning! )