[Gpdd] health: gallstones in pigges

Chizeck, Susan P chizeck at utdallas.edu
Fri Jul 15 16:30:49 EDT 2005

You may have read of the passing of Obie, my beloved piggie.  Although
she had been in slightly compromised health the last year, it was a
surprise when she just stopped eating and drinking and in less than 48
hours was dead.  This quick and mysterious passing has been reported
many times by other piggie slaves.  In her autopsy we found that Obie
had many gallstones and some seemed to be blocking the bile duct.  My
husband had just this situation a few years ago.  It was hard to
diagnose, extremely painful and dangerous, and he had to have emergency
surgery to remove the gallbladder.  The vet and I discussed that this
sort of thing may be much more common in piggies than we know and could
cause those ominous symptoms of stopping eating and drinking and quick
passing.  So this is another item for the diagnostic file.  The only
problem is that although it might be diagnosable by ultrasound, no one
at this point performs gallbladder removals on piggies.  They are just
too small, the vet said.  So treasure your piggies while you can.  My
remaining pig, Mattimeo, seems to be OK and his appetite is a little
better now, so I think he will do ok.

Susan P. Chizeck,