[Gpdd] MISC - Thanks for the help on cleaning the urine stains!!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 17 12:56:32 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all who have posted comments, or
sent me emails, on cleaning the urine stains out of Harvey's cage! Most
people have recommended using a white wine vinegar/water solution, and when
we go shopping next week, I'll get some and give it a try! I'd still like to
clean the cage afterwards with the mild washing-up liquid and water - does
anybody think that would be a bad idea?! Every small animal I've ever had
has had it's cage cleaned with soapy water, and so have all my mum's many
hamsters - and old habits die hard!!

Don't worry, I'd never even entertained the idea of putting neat bleach in
the cage - and when my friend told me that she did, I had to tell her that I
thought it was a bad idea, even if she did take offence. I've had many
guinea pigs in the past, and Harvey has been by far the stinkiest. I clean
him out twice a week, and I always put a thick layer of newspaper down
first, then another thick layer of sawdust, as well as generous amounts of
hay, but after two or three days, his cage reeks to high heaven! As he lives
in the living room and we spend most of our day there - it's not pleasant
sometimes!! Harvey's urine has the strongest smell of ammonia that I've ever
smelt in a guinea pig - he does drink a lot so maybe that contributes to the
cause?!

Oh, just a note - I'd been considering purchasing the Guinea Pig Secrets
book too, as they've been pestering me to buy it relentlessly, but on
everybody's advice in the GPDD, I definitely won't be bothering! Thanks for
the advice, on that, and on Harvey's cage!

Nicola and Harvey :-)