[Gpdd] [Health] Possible UTI

ebak at ca.inter.net ebak at ca.inter.net
Sun Jul 17 23:55:51 EDT 2005

          				It's good that you took Ratso to the vet. He could be not eating for a
variety of
reasons. It could be the antibiotic. My guinea pig, Phoebe is senstive to many antibiotics
and
looses her appetite. You can give him yoghurt with active culture about a half hour after
the
antibiotic. My vet also does this with rabbits: He mixes the antibiotic with juice so that
it isn't
going into the stomach full strenghth. It's the same amount of antibiotic but mixed with
juice or
water. It seems to help them.

 A must have is Critical Care by Oxbow. This is a special mixture of ground pellets,
probiotics and
vitamins for herbervores that won't eat. By your address I am guessing you are in Canada.
It's
available at Global Pets and vets. You can check the Oxbow site for locations.

Keep giving your guinea pig lots of liquids and treats. You can also try adding water to
pellets to
soften them or make them into a paste and syringe feed him.

Good
luck.