[Gpdd] Health] Piggies and (human) pregnancy

Robert and Patricia Oglesby rpngso at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 18 12:30:29 EDT 2005

Hi there!

We have five children, so I've been pregnant through almost everything!  At least once while we had piggies and had no problems.  I am the sole piggie caretaker and cage washer here.  I think (not being an expert of any kind, I can only think....) that as long as the materials you are using to wash the cages are safe for you to use then there shouldn't be a problem.  We also have a cat and I remember that pregnant women can greatly minimize their risk of infection by wearing rubber gloves and one of those masks while changing kitty litter.  I rarely change kitty litter, pregnant or not - that's a job I like to delegate.  There is also some risk to gardening if there are cats in your neighborhood, so if you're worried, wear gloves when you garden.  As always, check with your doctor and other resources that you trust.  It might also help to find some actual statistics about the risks.  When I read the actual facts of infection from changing kitty litter, the risk seemed very small to me - it's been a while and I can't remember what the numbers actually are.

Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy!  Do what the piggies do - nurse your baby!

Patricia
Harry, Velvet and Midnight