[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Snuggles' health issues

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:13:06 EDT 2005

Dear friend,

Please, if you haven't already taken Snuggles to the vet for his
weakness/paralysis symptoms, I urge you to do so. These are some of the same
symptoms that I noticed in two of my older boars earlier this year, and both
passed away rather quickly. One of them lasted only overnight from the onset
of his symptoms...he became weak and cool to the touch and abruptly stopped
eating and drinking. The other lasted for about one week, and I believe that
he had a stroke, because one side of his body was considerably weaker than
the other, and his body seemed arched toward one side. He also stopped
eating and drinking, and I spent that one sad week syringe feeding him
Critical Care and water. From what I have read, guinea pigs can have heart
attacks and strokes, just as humans do. For his allergies, have you tried
using towels instead of wood shavings or paper based beddings? This is what
I do for my piggies, and it has helped them. Cocoa was having a terrible
time with itching and was losing her hair, as well as wheezing. Changing her
bedding has made a big difference for her. It sounds as though you are doing
all the right things as far as diet...I would be cautious about letting him
eat too much of the tissue paper, though. I hope some of these suggestions
will be helpful. Give Snuggles a big hug for us, and we will be sending
healing thoughts his way.

With love and best wishes,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals
www.piggiepals4u.blinkz.com
Wimpy's story is on the website, if you would like to check it out. He is
one of the piggies that passed away earlier this year.