[Gpdd] [Health] Itchy Louie - HELP NEEDED

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:05:53 EDT 2005

Greetings, Jenna -

So sorry to hear about poor itchy Louie.  He has really been through the
ringer with this itching deal.  Please give him a soft little kiss on top of
his tiny head for me.

I believe I may be the one who was talking about giving aspirin to piggies.
The recommended dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 of a chewable baby aspirin (81mg
tablets) twice a day.  Aspirin is an analgesic and an anti-inflammatory, so
it's sort of a double whammy.  BUT, I'm not sure it would help Louie with
his itching problem.  If he is in pain, it might help; but if he is having
an allergic reaction that is causing the itching, I don't think the aspirin
would be the drug of choice to help that.  Also, it will increase his
'bleeding ability' because aspirin is a blood thinner.

There was a discussion in the digest a while back about using Benedryl for
allergies and itching in piggies.  A web site was given that linked to a
bulletin board discussion of Benedryl and the dosage, etc, for piggies.  It
was very interesting.  Benedryl or something like it might go further to
help him get some relief from the itching than the aspirin would.

As for him acting 'depressed' I have found that, when Mollie is in chronic
pain and discomfort, she does act like she is depressed.  It may be the same
way with Louie.

I hope you find what you need to give the little guy some relief.  Sorry I
couldn't be of more help.  If another digester doesn't send you that address
for the Benedryl discussion, let me know and I will try to go back and find
it for you.

Good luck.

Candy; Topper and Mollie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone.. Itchy louie is having another bought of scratching ;(
this time it is worse than all the others...    sooo... he is now wearing a
sock "Sweater" to let the scabs heal... he seems real depressed like lately
-
possible in pain???  I remember reading something about giving piggies
aspirin or some sort of pain med to help... can someone reiterate what
and how much to give??? Would this be ok in this situation??? Since he is
pretty beat up by his own itching and nibbling.... I think he might be a
little
chearier... he's still eating, but he's hiding alot and that is weird
for him - since he's the more active attention one.. he hardly even weeeeeks
any more :(   i feel so bad!!!  help.. any advise would be great...   Fyi to
anyone who doesn't know itchy louie - took him to the vet when this
first apeared... they did a number of tests and they told me it was
"allergies"  - we have not yet been able to figure out what he is "allergic"
to.... I
think it's just his nerves - he's a little spastic :)  The boughts of
itchiness come and go sporadically....
I was also told it could be a sign of diabetes or some other disease?
is this true?
Thanks,
Jenna, Louie, Fuzzy, and max the bun