[Gpdd] HEALTH - To Candy About Mollie Pigger

Janelle D. Smith janelle300 at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 25 17:15:48 EDT 2005

Hi Candy,

I had never mentioned "Interstitial Cystitis" before, so I'm not sure if I
could give you any helpful info.  Does it cause thickening of the bladder
wall?  That's what my two female piggies have and it was caused by the
bladder stones.  But when the bladder stones shrank to small crystals, their
bladder walls still stayed very thick.

So now they each take 1/2 capsule of "Cosequin For Cats" each day.  My Vet
can't understand why the bladder won't go back to it's normal thickness in
both pigs.  She's called many other Vet's and they have no idea, either.
Since they are related, it's a genetic thing.

Their bladder walls are now twice as thick as normal.  They used to be three
times as thick as normal.  So she said that was a good thing.  But they both
still scream in pain if she pushes on their little bladders.

So they will both be on Metacam, Shilintong, and Cosequin For Cats for the
rest of their lives.  This is not something that will just go away.  But
they NEVER had any blood in their urine.  Not that I could see, anyway.  I
have a 3rd pig that is closely related so I'm always watching.  These 3
girls come from the same stupid breeder.  I've told the pet store manager
but he doesn't care!!  My 4th girl is a Rex (almost 4 pounds) and came from
a professional breeder who didn't want her because her little white stripe
on her nose is a tiny bit of center.  But that's part of what makes her so
cute!

I hope someone knows more about this.  I doubt this was much help.  You or
your Vet are welcome to call my Vet if you think it would be of any help.
She's a Rodentologist and seems to know quite a bit about these furry guys.
Plus, she's been to England a few times to specifically discuss rabbit and
guinea pig care.
Healing wheeks to Mollie and stay well Topper!

Janelle