[Gpdd] HEALTH: Jacob is not acting right. Bladder maybe?

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 22:07:33 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

It seems that when it rains it turn into a tropical storm here at the rescue. My own piggy Jacob, who is about 3 years old (give or take he was a rescue himself), got an abscess mysteriously and when I found it I thought that was the reason for his odd behavior. But now the abscess is all healed up and he is still acting pretty punky.

I have had him in a small cage on his own so I can monitor his in's and out's. He is pooping out little poops. So I thought well he is either impacted or not eating much. It would be very odd for him to be impacted since he is neutered but I checked and cleaned him all out anyway (hardly anything in there), checked his penis and no mucus plugs. So that leaves the "not eating much" reason for small poos but I do see him eat.

He is on light colored fleece in this cage so I can monitor his urine. Well yesterday he had one bout of an orangeish colored urine on the fleece, but I have seen none since. I am taking a sample in to spin down tomorrow (because I can do that myself and for free) to make sure it is not the same issue Guinness was having where it oxidizes an unusual color. That would be weird for just one bout, but I suppose it could happen.

So I guess I need to have some people send me some info for warning signs about bladder problems please. And any other suggestions would also be appreciated. It is almost easier when it is a rescue pig because I can be more objective. When it is one of my own, I can't wrap my brain around the problem. I can't get past the "He's my baby!" part.

Lisa, the very frazzled slave at the Wheeks and Squeaks rescue