[Gpdd] Health: Re: Lemi's eye discharge/sneezing

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 14:14:46 EDT 2005

Melissa,
I am so Sorry to hear about Lemi's
problems. Poor, little guy. But, I also
wanted to tell you that my 2nd pig
had a similar problem. When my
Brittney Lea was about 1 year old,
he lost the ability to close his left eye.
It was baffling and so I took him to several
(clueless) Vets who had no idea what
was wrong with him. The last Vet I
took him to was not an Exotics expert,
but she was nice enough to consult with
other more experienced Vets and in the
end, she told me that B-Lea had something
called Facial Nerve Palsy. Wheee concluded
that B-Lea had nerve damage which caused
the paralysis. I worried so much about my
little boy, but honestly, it seemed to
bother me more than it did him. He was
a sickly thing all of his life and truly a
'Special Needs' pig. I also had to apply
ointment directly into his eye 2-3 times
a day. And everyday, in the evenings,
after I applied the eye ointment, I would
hold him close to me and hold his eye
shut for 20-30 minutes, so that his eye
could rest. But, like I said, I think it
bothered me more than it did him.

I hope your Lemi is doing Okay. Please
give him some Extra Piggie Hugs 'n
Kisses and let him know that wheeeee