[Gpdd] health: guinea pig diet

Robert and Patricia Oglesby rpngso at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 26 12:16:54 EDT 2005

Hello piggie families!

Someone mentioned a piggie being allergic to his veggies, and someone else was surprised at that diagnosis.  I'm not an expert on anything, but I read a post on another list that made a lot of sense to me.  There were some details that went over my head, but the bottom line was that guinea pigs in nature are at the bottom of the food chain and would not naturally have access to the best foods.  Their natural diet is dried grasses, leaves, bark - things they could forage from a nice hiding place.  Therefore, their little bodies are not designed to fed "rich" foods like veggies and fruits, those are truly treats.  Sort of like people trying to live on lots of fats and highly processed foods.  Great treats, but make us fat and short lived if we make that a large portion of our diets.  I'm thinking it's a matter of balance.  As I said before, I'm not an expert.  Just sharing some info that made sense and helped me to better understand how my piggies "work".

Patricia
Harry, Velvet and Midnight and pigsitting Chocolate and Chip