[Gpdd] HEALTH: Skin Problems

lauramelville at comcast.net lauramelville at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 13:00:45 EDT 2005

One of my pigs has a serious skin problem and I'm in need of some help.  He was fine one day and then I noticed in his swirls what looked like chunks of dry dead skin which when touched caused the hair to come out.  Of course, he was scratching and has two open sores.

I've done the ivermectin route...it has not helped at all.  Baths seem to be helping the skin but I don't know what to do about the open sores - he's not even giving them time to heal.  Should I bathe him every day?  Also, I've used both Adam's shampoo (vet recommended)- but he squeals if it gets near the sores; I also have a Neem Oil shampoo which is gentler but I don't know how well it's helping.  I have a Neem Oil spray also, that I like to spray him with and rub through what little coat he has left.

This is the worse case I've ever had with any of my pigs and I don't know what to do.  He is still eating and drinking normally.  I remember reading one time that some use Selsun Blue shampoo to help with skin problems, has anyone ever tried this?  Also - the Revolution topical treatment for Kittens/Puppies - but I believe that is just a form of ivermectin.

Any suggestions?

Laura