[Gpdd] [HEALTH] An update on Flick

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 16:14:18 EDT 2005

Dear friends,

Just wanted to share the latest news concerning Flick and his struggle to
get well...and what a struggle it has been! It will be one week on Monday
since he had to have emergency surgery to remove a bladder stone that was
lodged in his urethra. For the first few days afterward he seemed to be
doing fine. Then, on Thursday, his surgical site became swollen to about
twice its normal size. He was in so much pain that he wouldn't allow his
bottom to touch the towels with which I had lined the floor of his cage. He
kept it propped up, even when he was lying down. Also, he would only nibble
at his food, so I had to begin giving him Critical Care...which he decidedly
didn't like. We were able to get an appointment that same afternoon with our
vet, who put him on an antiinflammatory drug for 4 days. He also went in and
cleaned out the surgical site. He is now eating and drinking again and the
swelling has gone down quite a bit. He is able to rest comfortably now...no
more keeping his lower parts propped up. He is still very thin...he had
actually lost a few more ounces and now weighs 2 lbs. 6 oz. He had weighed
over three pounds before his illness, so seeing him so thin is
heartbreaking. If anyone else has been through a similar situation with a
piggie friend, I would love to hear from you. Any information that anyone
would like to share with us would be so welcome.

Best wishes to all,
Sherry, Flick, and the rest of our piggie family
www.piggiepals4u.blinkz.com