[Gpdd] Health: Itchy back

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 1 12:56:43 EDT 2005

Chris-
Sorry to hear your little guy is uncomfortable. Sounds like a skin condition causing
the itching, resulting in another skin condition. This can get out of control quickly,
so you need to take quick steps.
First, a diagnosis is important to eliminate the initial situation. Sounds like it could
be mites or a skin allergy. Mites are almost impossible for you to see, about have
to go to a vet for a scraping to be sure. They can sneak in in hay, bedding, etc, it
happens to all of us at some time. Could also be a reaction to something, check
out any possible contaminants.  To be sure, visit your vet.
Bathing is important, but you certainly need a safe, mild shampoo. Depends on the
problem, but an antifungal should be safe and help cut down on complications. You
might get a spray to use first to get rid of any possible pests, then bathe afterward.
A good spray that is both effective and safe is DeFlea Reptile Relief by Natural Chemists.
Follow the usual bathing instructions, be sure to rinse very well, dry quickly and keep
the pig warm. The bare spot(s) will need attention to prevent infection. A good topical
ointment, depending upon the diagnosis.
Of course, the cage/environment must be cleaned and treated as well. You can
safely clean it with a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar.  All this should be repeated
a time or two to be sure all threat is eliminated.
Not a huge thing, especially if you catch it early.

Here are some links with more in-depth information; I would suggest bookmarking
at least their homepage for future reference - it helps to have advice at your fingertips!

http://guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#externalparasites
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/itching.htm
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2517/medicine.html
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/careguide.html

We'll keep our paws crossed that all works out quickly for your little guy - let us know
how it goes!

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com