[Gpdd] Virtual: Tom and Huck's Award

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Jun 2 01:06:11 EDT 2005

      A rather tired but still bright eyed and obviously happy red part-Abby
guinea pig made his way to the front. Noticing friends near the front of the
crowd he waved. "Hey Barney, and Calliope. And there's Honey, too.
     In case some of you haven't met each other, these are some of our
British friends."
     "But now its time to get a bit more formal." He paused for a few minutes
before starting.

     Hello Friends, he began. I know sometimes Charlie and I look a lot alike
but I'm Chester. He smiled as the other guinea pigs laughed a bit at his not
very original humor.
     In just a moment I'm going to turn things over to our Master of
Ceremonies, Mr. Cooders, who's sure shown Porky that Bing isn't the only piggy who can
"dance, dance, dance."
     A current of appreciative laughter and merriment ran throughout the
crowd. Yes, Mr. Cooders and Porky more turned out to be real show stoppers and
could sure "cut a rug" as some of the much older slaves would sometimes say.
     Chester stepped aside then and Cooders stood up grinning. "I can
rumblestrut, too, can't I?" he said looking over at a laughing Chester then glancing
at Porky and winking. She blushed but looked secretly pleased.

     But to open our ceremony, well, I know that many of you are exhausted so
I won't spend a lot of time with words. I've been doing that throughout our
whole trip.
     He cleared his throat and had a refreshing sip of water, then began:

     Tom and Huck have distinguished themselves in an uncommon way and have
been nominated for special recognition for their outstanding alertness,
awareness and for the persistence displayed in warning their human family of an oven
fire in time to prevent its spreading throughout the kitchen.
     Slave Donna was baking and the smoke alarm didn't go off, but Tom and
Huck wheeeeeked loudly and persistently (and almost unnaturally) and continued
trying to communicate as loudly and as imperatively as possible. They didn't
stop until mommy slave Donna went to investigate. She arrived, she says, "just
in time to keep the fire from spreading."
     We honor these two special pigs and present them with this certificate
of distinction, honor and heroism. And, Tom and Huck, you have the admiration
of all piggies gathered here on this day.

     Spontaneous applause broke out and intensified louder and louder as
little paws clapped rapidly together.

     "Goodness, between the applause and the wild whistling and wheeking,
well, I daresay, poor Tom and Huck are probably a bit embarrassed by all these
highly vocal and enthusiastic accolades," Porky murmured to a pleasant looking
sow sitting next to her."
     "Yes, but they're fine boys," the sow replied.
     Porky certainly agreed.

                                                            awards: to be
continued....