[Gpdd] Re:itchy/mites

Bonnie bhold at zoominternet.net
Fri Jun 3 00:53:16 EDT 2005

Did you know gps can be born with mites and can be carriers for mites?  Neither did I until I had a litter from Kali.  About three months after they were born, the little boar(in a separate cage) started scratching his back.  Guinea pigs scratch, so I didn't think much of it.  Then Welly had a seizure.  I scooped him up and off to the vet.  She diagnosed mites and treated him with a shot of Invermectin.  She said that sows can be carriers without actually having the mites themselves, and pass them on to their pups.  I had to bring Welly in for another shot and the rest of the crew had to be treated with a shot, also.  She gave me some shampoo(I don't remember the name; it's been six years) and within days Welly was back to his old self.  No more mites, no more seizures, no more weight loss.  As for the rest of the crew,  they never suffered from mites at all and lived long healthy lives.

Just one more possibility to explore.
Best wishes to you and your piggy.