[Gpdd] Re: Care: C&C Warning

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 22:57:03 EDT 2005

Susi, I can definitely relate to your incident.  One of my pigs, my foster, Hazelnut, got her head stuck in the hay rack a few days ago.  It is made out of a grid.  I don't know how she done this, she is also over a pound and is 2 1/2 months old.  Luckily, I was sitting here in the room to save her.  Somehow she had fit her head through the hole and was flailing about.  I jumped up off my chair and grabbed her.  I thought for sure she was going to break her neck.  I couldn't get her head out so I called for my husband which he came running in from the kitchen and tried to cut the grids but it didn't work.  She was wheeking and squealing. Poor girl.  I told my husband just to cut the hay rack off the cage while I hold her body from moving.  We took the hay rack out still with her head inside, and carefully my husband slipped her head back through.  It wasn't an easy task but she is alright.  I was scared to death for her to break her neck.

Luckily I was here and my husband, otherwise I don't know how I would have gotten her head out from that position with the hay rack still attached to the cage.

I now have removed the hay rack from the cage until further notice.  I hate to think what would have happened to her if I were at work.

Wheeks to all,
Lisa and the Guinea Girls, the lone boar, Flint and my foster, Hazelnut that still needs a forever, loving home.

The "pigs" say, "Have a Wheeking Good Day!"