[Gpdd] RAINBOW : Honey

Dee and Joe deeclark at rcn.com
Sun Jun 5 23:07:48 EDT 2005

This is very hard for me to write, but our sweet brave little girl Honey
left us last night.

For those who don't know her story, I will tell it briefly.  I joined the GP
transport list about a year ago.  One day there was a message about a GP at
the Have-A-Heart rescue in NJ near where my sister lives.  (I live in Mass.)
This piggie had the worst case of mites they had ever seen.  Pictures showed
a small sow with scabs and sores over most of her body.  Most of her hair
was gone.  She was in constant pain.  This neglect by her former owners was
appalling.  I showed the pictures to my husband and told him no one would
adopt this little girl and I knew I had to.  I emailed Marci at the rescue
and applied to adopt little Honey.  We joined others touched by her story in
sending money for her care. We were eventually accepted as her new forever
home, and waited a few months until she healed and could travel.  She almost
didn't make it, but she was so brave and wanted to live.  Joe and I picked
her up on November 6, 2004, the day before my birthday.  It turned out she
had more problems than we knew.  Pneumonia had left her with only one
working lung and fluid around her heart.  In spite of this she slowly grew
and was one of the sweetest pigs we ever had.  She was a wonderful cuddle
pig and never peed on me. She had excellent vet care, took her medicine
well, and I really thought she would live many years.  It was not to be.

She seemed fine Sat. morning and had floor time with Juliet while I cleaned
their cage.  She wasn't interested in her supper, but she did that
sometimes.  Joe and I went to a graduation party the rest of the day.  After
we got home I was relaxing in the GP/computer room playing some games on the
computer.  I heard Honey's raspy breathing and it sounded like she needed to
cough.  I picked her up as usual and put her over my shoulder, patting her
back to bring up the mucus and help her cough.  I realized she was having
trouble breathing.  She was getting weaker and weaker as I worked on her to
get her to breathe.  I tried mouth-to-mouth to put air into her lung, held
her upside down patting her back, even tried the Heimlich maneuver in case
she was choking..  I called Joe and he tried, but nothing worked and she
died in our arms a few minutes later.

I know she had a good life with us, but I wanted more for her.  I wanted to
make up for her suffering.  I wanted her to have a few years more as a happy
piggie.  She was our Honey Braveheart.

A very sad Dee, Joe and Juliet

www.sunnyday1.blinkz.com