[Gpdd] MISC: Canadian Rocky & Friends

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 10:43:02 EDT 2005

Hi Y'all~
;-) (translation for you yanks - "Hello Everyone")
Just wanted to take an unoffical poll - how many of you out there are in Canada?
I have a friend from 'beyond' who lives in Canada just recently into guinea pigs
who would like to find a website with fellow Canadians (I told her this was the
place!). So if anyone wants to identify themselves . . . I will gladly pass the info
along. Or you could write to her directly.
Her name is Tammy thesoysister at yahoo.ca
(and tell here what a great group this is!)
Her first piggie, a Tortoiseshell & White American ( ;-) ) she named Rocky.
She had posted some cute pictures of him, and I saved one to my file of piggie
friends. When I do this, I try to include the slave's name or some way to identify
the piggie. I dubbed him Canadian Rocky.  Of course, it later turned out that
Rocky is a Roxie (can't imagine how that could happen!), and has now been
joined by Baby, and Guy.
(actually, I don't guess you would have to live in Canada to write to her!)

Ginger - sounds like something is stuck in your vaccum, or a loose belt. Either way,
you need to check it out before the motor burns up. Mine have done the same. I have
a Hoover Wind Tunnel (upright) that I thought was just great - until Snowy arrived on
the scene, and then CP, and then, well you know the rest!  So I got a hand held one
by Red Devil, supposed to be all powerful. Thought I'd use it to clean the cage (after
rolling up the newspapers with the shavings on them). Yeah, that worked a few weeks.
In the apt they were on a tile floor, and played on the carpet (I soon learned to lay a
quilt or blanket down for them to run on, except for Rosie, the Tunnel Pig, who delighted
in creating crazy, zig zag tunnels everywhere)
All in all, what I found works best for me, in cleaning out the cage floor or my own floor,
is a hand-held broom and dust pan.

Tricia - you are an angel to take in all those piggies! If there is anything I can do to help
here in Oklahoma, let me know (I know, I will try to send money! there are so many who
need it! but you are on the list!).

Trina- I passed the GA vet info along to Dave, just in case you hadn't sent it to him. Do
you know if these vets are listed on the GP Vet website?  I don't have the link on the top
of my head (no, I looked!), but when I looked there previously, I found nothing for my area,
so I added the two that I know are good. So if these Dr's aren't on it, they should be added.
Same with anyone else on here, if you know of a good gp vet, be sure they are listed.
ok - I looked it up, it's on Cavy Info Int'l/Seagulls Cavy Compendium:
http://www.aracnet.com/cgi-usr/seagull/vetfinder.cgi
(don't know how often they update, tho, the ones I added aren't on there yet)

Dee & Joe- How wonderful that baby has found you! I am convinced that these things
are meant to be. Maybe Honey didn't leave to make room for the baby, but rather the
baby found you because Honey had to go. Keep us posted, and let us know when
you will have pigtures and a name for the new baby girl!  (Bonnie agrees)
Congratulations!

Happy Happy 4th Birthday to our good pigfriend Cocoa! What a momentous occasion!
Treats all around!  What a life! The Okie Piggies will do their best to help you celebrate.

Rachel - What brand of hay do you have, and where do you buy it? It's probably old and
lost all it's appeal. Does it smell good? The hardness doesn't matter, that's good for their
teeth (as long as they don't poke an eye out!).  Look around for another store with some
nice, fresh hay. They are out in the fields cutting now, there should be some available.
They must eat hay, and lots of it. Until you find some they will approve of, try fresh grass
and clover and dandelions, maybe some alfalfa and/or timothy cubes.
(Warning: Picking fresh grass & other delicacies will send them into a delirious fit, and
you will never again be able to rustle a bag or open the door without them going wild!)