[Gpdd] Misc: Letter to Judge

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 12 13:37:41 EDT 2005

Debbie-
Thanks for providing the address. Although it seems like a chore these days to
actually WRITE a letter and put it in the mail, with a stamp and all, I have written
two letters, one from the Okie Piggies, and one from our club, Green Country
Cavy Club. I have also printed an extra without the return address and signature,
so when I run into someone else they can just sign it and mail it if they want. I
don't know how much a petition from Oklahoma would do, I would gladly get one
together if I thought it would help.  Yes, I know Judi was very upset. I was, too,
when I read her post, and just saved it to Drafts for the time being; glad you reminded
me. We should, however, have the defendant's name, at least, if not case number,
to be most effective (but I'll bet the judge knows who we're talking about!).
Although I hate to post lengthy messages, I am copying the body of the letter below;
if anyone has any suggestions, let me know, I'll gladly re-do it and send another! Or,
feel free, anyone, to copy and use all or any part of it yourself. Anything to get the
message across!  (I imagine it is too late to change his decision, but hopefully it
will AT LEAST have two effects: to make sure they are closely supervised, and to
make him and all judges think long and hard before making such a decision in the
future!).
Thanks again,
Susi and the OP's

Hon. W. Louis Hennessy

PO Box 3070

Courthouse

200 Charles Street

La Plata   MD   20646-3070

Sir:

We beg you to reconsider your recent decision to allow this man to keep even ten

guinea pigs.  How many children would he be allowed to keep if he had been abusing

and neglecting children instead?  This does a terrible injustice to those animals - NO number

of animals deserve to be returned to such a person, especially guinea pigs. They are totally

helpless animals, depending on their caretakers for everything, and will die in a very short time

if they do not have a constant supply of decent food and water – their systems are different

from us and from most domestic animals. In addition, they also need love and attention, which

they have not received previously from this person.

We certainly can understand the importance of animal companionship, but it must be earned.

This man HAS NOT EARNED IT.  He has betrayed the very animals who depended on him for

life. But if he were to have any animals at all, at least let it be some who can fend for themselves

a bit. That can more easily and safely be neutered (there is a very high risk in guinea pigs with

any surgery), like a dog or a cat.

There is not a doubt in our minds that this man will shortly return to his proven habit of neglect

and abuse; guinea pigs can reproduce at 3 months, and will. Home visits to oversee the safety

of children doesn’t work very well, it isn’t likely to be successful with animals.

There are many of our friends in that area and around the country who would jump at the chance

to give those 10 animals a very good ‘forever’ home.

Please do not allow this man to have ANY animals in his possession – let him have supervised visits!

If there is anything further we can do to help in this endeavor please let us know!

Respectfully,

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com