[Gpdd] Misc: Warning about email hoax

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 12 23:10:22 EDT 2005

This probably goes without saying, but please be careful about opening your
emails. As they tell us, don't open any attachments unless you know who
they are from and that they are legitimate, and don't respond to strange emails.
Today I have received probably half a dozen, all with the initial appearance of
being from my phone company/internet provider (sbc global). Each one was
worded a bit differently, each one with an attachment. All bogus. They are
'phishing' for my personal information (if they only knew!  ;-)  )
For example, one came from "info at sbcglobal.net"  one from "register at sbc"
one from "support at sbc", all sounded legitimate at first (except that they were
automatically directed to my "Bulk Mail" box, so I double checked before opening
them). They had subject lines like "Important Notification" and "Account Alert".
I contacted SBC, and they informed me that these were all bogus, and gave me
a link to another group that investigates this "phishing".
Even if you aren't on SBC Global, beware, they will likely try this with other ISPs.
Have a nice day!  ;-)
Susi

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com