[Gpdd] Misc: Socializing

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 13:04:02 EDT 2005

Leah- Sounds like your pignic was a huge success! We're so jealous!
Wish it weren't so far away! Lucky pigs!

Mary Fran- Your So. Cal. pignic sounds like fun - will there be surfing?  ;-)
I've passed the info along to some others in your area, hopefully you'll
hear from them. Have fun!

Anna- Your two little piggies sound adorable! Rather than worry about Buddy
not warming up to you, feel lucky that Sammy is so sociable. It usually takes
quite a while for a new piggy to learn to trust that you aren't going to eat him,
and then to actually enjoy your attention.  You're on the right track, keep on
holding and cuddling Buddy, and talk to him, sing to him, tell him how magnificent
he is (of course, you'll have to do the same with Sammy, or there'll be trouble!).
Hint:  Food!  Treats will go a long way toward getting them interested in your
attention!

Lisa & Dawnda - Yes, more needs to be said about switching feed gradually.
And introducing new foods gradually, too.  Maybe it depends in part on what
is in the new feed - there are studies suggesting that all the 'extras' in some
feed are undesirable (I'm trying to be tactful), including the chemical ingredients
and colorants! I have this on very high authority, take my word for it. ;-)
So we should include in our information to new and prospective slaves to
first, try to get some of the feed the gp has been eating,
at least get the name of it so you can purchase a small amount.
Then to carefully choose a safe feed to keep them on
(it will vary, depending on age, health, etc).

Carla - You are so right about learning from others, and Zippy has made a positive
impact in that regard (as have others before him). How sad, though, to have to
learn some of our lessons in this way.  As for the grass, I agree with you. "All things
in moderation" - besides washing it to be safe, we shouldn't dump great quantities
of green grass on them (pay no attention to the pig behind the curtain!), their
little digestive systems are far more delicate than those of a horse, and we've seen
our horses colic from a sudden change like that.  I still feel guilty about giving the
OP's perhaps too much green grass the week Hotshot got sick, maybe it wasn't
the cause, but it could have added to his discomfort.
So, is Bud back on the rodeo circuit? We're looking forward to hearing The
Further Adventures of Rodeo Bud!

Melissa -  Ha!  So Otis got the message from Buster!  He was hoping that tip would
get through!  These boys think it great sport to pull that on their slaves, waking them
from a deep sleep, trying to trick them into thinking some bird has gotten in! (as if
a mere bird could sing in the middle of the night!)  The girls seem to be singing a
sweet song, an inspiration. Buster has been seen singing to woo Bonnie (next door)
in the middle of the night. But it is also a finely honed trick!   (hehehe)

As for the abuse case in MD - maybe the judge's decision as to allowing the guy to
keep 10 unfortunate pigs is a done deal (yeah, he should pay the costs, but would
that make the pigs suffer?), maybe we can put enough pressure on to ensure some
good follow-up visits. Anyone live in that area?  I don't think I'd be above paying the
guy a visit myself, from time to time, just to 'visit' with those little guys!

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com