[Gpdd] Health, i think my guinea pig is depressed

Lydia Boland owsla at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 17:34:12 EDT 2005

We had the same situation.  Parsifal and Satchel were litter mates and
were 2 or 3 years old when we adopted them.  Then after another 3 years
with us Parsifal died last December.  Satchel was very depressed.  We
knew about another guinea pig waiting for a home as my husband's cousin
adopted one for their kids but she wasn't getting the attention she
needed.  So within a week Ginny was with us and Satchel perked up right
away.  Within 2 days Ginny and Satchel bonded.  He absolutely became a
new pig.  Fortunately Satchel was neutered right after we adopted him
so no worries about Ginny getting pregnant.
I knew that we adopted another older male guinea pig it would seem like
we were trying to replace Parsifal.  But Ginny was a female and only a
year old.  She is long haired and not short haired like Parsifal and
Satchel.  Anyway, another companion adopted from a rescue might be your
best bet.   They would be really helpful in guiding you (actually
Cotton) to a match with the right piggie.  Most rescues have a policy
that if it doesn't work out you are required to bring the piggie back
to them.
We're sorry for your loss of Cookie.  You will all be in our prayers
and we will light a candle for Cookie tonight.

Lydia