[Gpdd] Health: Another problem ??

Lydia Boland owsla at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 19:56:40 EDT 2005

I understand about the vet bills, completely.  It could be laziness.
Sometimes our pigs just sit where they peed and there is nothing wrong.
  Even though the pee is clear it could be gritty.  I know this doesn't
sound nice but if you find a nice puddle touch it with your fingers.
Then rub your fingers together and see if it feels gritty.  That could
indicate a problem and it might be pre-sludge urine.  Sludge in the
urine, when it is bad, looks white or grey and it feels gritty like
sand.  If you don't feel any grittiness  and it is clear then I would
keep track of her weight and look for signs of distress.  It's always
nice to be on the safe side and go to the vet and get a urinalysis but
that is expensive.  Can you call your vet to get their opinion?  Also,
is this something that came on all of a sudden or does it happen off
and on?  Keep track of it and see if you find her sitting or lying in
her own urine.  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Lydia