[Gpdd] Re: CARE, Shilintong

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 22:10:02 EDT 2005

Greetings, Nancy -

Thanks so much for your note concerning Shilintong.  That clarification is
great information to have and I really appreciate you pursuing the
information and sending it to us.  It always relieves me to hear another
report of Shilintong being non-toxic and safe, because I really do believe
that it helps our stone piggies.

It seems that stones occur as a result of two different factors:  diet
and/or anatomy.  Although stones are most commonly diet-related in animals
such as cats and dogs (and therefore can be controlled much more easily with
a diet change), it seems that many (most) stone piggies have a tendency to
have a narrow urethra - more narrow than the 'normal' piggie.  Most of the
time, because of the way boars are shaped in their urethra and penis, they
(the boars) have more of a tendency to have this narrowing and, therefore,
bladder stones easily get "hung" in the urethra against the pubic bone.
Females don't seem to have this as often as males.  [Although some of us do
have females that have had stones.]

It is my understanding that Shilintong relaxes the urethra, so that would
indicate that sludge, crystals, and stones can pass more easily instead of
"stacking up" and contributing to the formation of larger stones.  The
Shilintong opens up the passageway, so to speak, so that would help with the
anatomical problems - of narrowing - that some piggies have.  So, it seems
to me that a combination of Shilintong and careful diet would be a "win-win"
situation with these little guys, covering both causes (diet and anatomy)
for the stones.

I believe that Cornsilk is a natural light diuretic, therefore it would
assist with flushing the bladder and kidneys; however it would not affect
the size of the urethra.  I have read that it can be used as an aid in
reducing symptoms of pain caused by inflammation in UTI's, cystitis, and
bladder stones (but maybe is not of great benefit in aiding in the passing
of the stones).

Hydrangea root has also been mentioned as a diuretic, but more often as an
anti-lithic, meaning that it aids in disolving stones and helps to prevent
the formation of new stones.  Again, though, it does not affect the size of
the urethra as an aid to making the passing of the stones or sludge easier
or less painful.

Am I correct - for you digesters who are MUCH more knowledgeable about this
than I am - that we need to be very careful in giving the piggies any kind
of diuretic [meaning, to only give it when specifically needed, as opposed
to giving it routinely as a preventative] due to the possibility of
dehydrating our piggies?  They are so small. . . seems like dehydration
could become a problem very quickly.  But, I also realize that I am *VERY*
neurotic when it comes to making the right decisions for my piggies because
I feel so incompetent when it comes to their health and well-being.  Am I
being too cautious on this?  I have read in several places that folks have
used Cornsilk and Hydrangea successfully.  What do the rest of you think
about this?  Do you use it, and - if so, what do you use it for and what has
been your experience with it?

Thanks again, Nancy, for updating us on the answers to your questions that
you had.  The more information, the better!

Candy, Topper and Mollie

My vet Dr. Erica Wilson had been on vacation and couldn't respond to my
wanting to know more about Shilintong until now.

She had confused Shilintong with Corn Silk.  We are o.k. in using Shilintong
as a precautionary measure.  She says that usually she trys to change the
GP's diet to avoid stones, but no problem in using Shilintong.

Whew!

P.S.  She had a web page that I had overlooked:
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/