[Gpdd] [HEALTH] GP's and baby aspirin (Candy G.)

Rita Hollowell rhollowell at comwares.net
Thu Jun 16 23:04:44 EDT 2005

Lydia,

To answer your question about why aspirin, I have had a problem with my
neck from an accident I was in 20 years ago.  Through my rehab I learned
that aspirin was an anti-inflammatory used to lessen the swelling around
injured areas.  When ever my neck starts getting stiff and swelling
around the problem site I take either asprin or Advil (another
anti-inflammatory).  Swelling around the disk cause the majority of the
problems with paralysis.  I woke up about 5 years ago and could not get
out of bed because of going to an chiropractor that didn't tell me he
was going to "pop" my neck without x-rays to see what was going on
inside my neck.  That made my problems worse because he aggravated the
situation.  Needless to say I had to go through a long period of
physical therapy and drug therapy.  It sounds like that is what has in a
way happened to Mollie due to her moving the wrong way.  I don't know if
this helps or not but figured with what I have been through I hate to
see a little precious piggie suffer the way I did.

Rita

Just as I sent the first version of this, my system crashed. . . hope I
am
not jamming the digest with two posts for the same subject.

First and foremost, thank all of you who sent me direct emails
concerning my
question about paralysis in piggie hind legs.  I hope that I wrote a
personal note to each of you to thank you - that was my intention.  If
you
did not receive a note from me, please forgive me.  Things continue to
be
very chaotic here and sometimes I think I did something, but find out
that I
didn't.  If I missed anyone, thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU.  Digesters

RULE!!!

I just wanted to report on what we finally found out.  Mollie recovered
that
same day, but was still very quiet and staying in her little "fluffed up

meatloaf" position.  I took her to our exotics vet and x-rays were done
rule out cardiac disease and blood clots, and also a possible back
injury.

Her heart was absolutely fine (thank goodness), but the x-ray clearly
showed
a malformed vertebrae in her spinal column right at the end of the area
where the last rib is attached.  It is quite visible on x-ray.  The vet
says
that is was almost certainly a birth defect and it is probably just now
becoming noticeable as a problem because of the aging process.  She
thinks
that Mollie either twisted or jumped just the wrong way and the
vertebrae
moved slightly and pinched a nerve, causing the temporary paralysis.
She
(the vet) says that the problem and the pain will continue to "come and
go".
  Hopefully the paralysis won't happen again.

I had already given Mollie Metacam - it had worked so beautifully with
her
stone surgery and UTI, and I thought she was just under the weather
still
with that until the paralysis incident.  It (the Metacam) wasn't
helping,
though, for some reason - she was still obviously not feeling well.  The
vet
put her on 1/2 chewable baby aspirin (1/2 of an 81mg tab) twice a day.
Within a couple of hours of her first dose of aspirin, she was a NEW
PIGGIE!!!  Animated - scooting around, eating everything in sight and
wanting more - interested in everything, and PURRING again (haven't
heard
that from her in a long time).

She'll be on the aspirin twice a day for 6 weeks, then it will just be
prn
after that unless she starts showing chronic discomfort again.  It that
happens, then she will be on aspirin for the rest of her life.  I guess
the
up side of that is that it will also help prevent blood clots and
strokes.
Anyway, the aspirin has worked miracles.

Has anyone else used aspirin for your piggies?  If so, why aspirin?;
and,
had you also used Metacam in the past?  Inquiring minds want to know.
:)

Gee. . . there is so much to know about these little guys!

Thanks to all of you for your continued concern and good wishes for
little
Mollie bug.

Candy, Relieved Topper and SuperMollie

Message: 18