[Gpdd] Health: Obie's ovarian inflammation, etc.

Chizeck, Susan P chizeck at utdallas.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:39:19 EDT 2005

We just got back from the vet yesterday.  Obie has had a lot of tenderness on her left side and a swollen feeling for a few weeks and it wouldn't go away.  She had an ultrasound, and we found out she has a cystic ovary and the left one is very enlarged and presumably painful.  The vet has ordered the HGH hormone so she can start shots next week, a series of two.  She also has a UTI.  Poor Obie.  You always wish they could say, "Mom, it hurts right here, take me to the vet right away!"  So we are hoping she'll get better with the hormones and not need to be spayed.  She's such a good little pig, always waits to get back to her cage to pee.  She's already 5 ½, so getting up there in years and we hope to spare her the surgery.  The ultrasound showed a  huge ovary.  It was very good of the vet to do a lot of research to figure out how to treat her, as she had not come across this before.  I recall from the gpdd that this is the right way to go.

Please keep Obie in your prayers so she will heal.

Susan P. Chizeck,