[Gpdd] announcement: a new Pookah

Kskosich at aol.com Kskosich at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 23:12:23 EDT 2005

For several years I have been loudly and firmly declaring that I will not
take in any more animals, but I knew that when my daughter began working at an
animal shelter this summer that it would just be a matter of time.   The time
was last Sunday when my daughter brought home a tiny "girl" guinea pig.   The
family had surrendered it because they ran out of guinea pig food the week
before and were tired of taking care of the piggie--a sad and familiar story.

So, piggie came to live at our house.   Beatrice, my elderly spinster piggie,
was quite surprised to hear the new beeper.   When we introduced the piggies
to each other outside, it became immediately evident that our new little
friend was a male.   He began purring and tried to get to Beatrice.   The look on
Bea's face was hilarious.   She was simpering, as if to say, "I may be an old
lady, but I've still got it!"   We are calling our new little guy "Pookah"
because that's what he says all day long.   We took Pookah to the vet because his
urine was very dark even after a few days of fresh food, water and vegetables.
  Although the vet couldn't get a sample, he thought it best to start
antibiotics as a precaution.   Pookah is the "dozenth" piggie in about as many years.
  He is a tri-color crested with a very cute mask and dark eyes.   He didn't
weigh much over a pound when we got him but has been eating his way through
the week and is plumping up nicely.   And a pookah-pookah to all, Kathy S