[Gpdd] [HEALTH] metacam, aspirin and painkillers

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 11:32:53 EDT 2005

Dear Susan

Sorry to hear about Daisy's trouble with Metacam.  Metacam is a
non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), and aspirin also falls into
this group.  It can cause gastrointestinal irritation/bleeding, but then
again, so can aspirin.  What I always do is ensure that piggy has had
something to eat before giving the Metacam to protect the stomach.  It may
be that Daisy is particularly sensitive to metacam, and therefore cannot
take it.  Maybe Rimadyl could help?  Your vet could advise whether that
might be appropriate in her case (of course, we all hope there won't be
another time when she needs a painkiller).

best wishes

Kay